We hate running out of maps, and we must apologise to those of you who had to run a different course from your first choice, who had to wait for a pre-loved map or who graciously gave up your map after your run. Thank you.
Yellowcraig is a mixed coastal area of forest, sand-dunes and open grassland which provides plenty of challenge for new and experienced orienteers. The map was updated for the 2016 Scottish Championships and there is a network of paths and ditches through the woods and dunes.
The island of Fidra, reputedly the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island, lies just to the north-west and is an RSPB nature reserve.
We have a guest course planner in David Robertson of ESOC who has set the courses. We had hoped to use the barbecue area after the event but unfortunately it’s not available.
|White||1.0 km||Very easy|
|Light Green||3.6 km||Medium to Hard|
Type of event:
Local event in the East of Scotland Orienteering Association (ESOA) series
Type of terrain:
Mixed coastal area of forest, sand-dunes and open grassland. There are some nettles in the woods but none of the courses visit the area of dense nettles in the south of the map.
Grid Ref: NT516856
Postcode: EH39 5DX
Car park accessed by minor road signposted Yellowcraig leaving the road through Dirleton which is reached from the A198.
There is a £2 charge for parking.
It is possible to get to the event by bus – Edinburgh-North Berwick service from East Coast Buses alighting at Dirleton.
Registration & Start Times
- Registration: This will be from 1:00pm to 3.00pm at the car park. Pre-entry is not available, all entries will be taken on the day. Please try to come and start early if you think you might take a long time over your course or if you would like help or advice before running. Controls will be brought in from 4pm promptly. The registration form can be downloaded and completed before you arrive.
- Toilets. There are toilets at the car park.
- Start and Finish will be close to the registration. Start times will be from 1.30pm to 3.00pm.
- Courses Close at 4pm so it is essential that you report to the Finish by 4pm, even if you have not completed your course.
- Course Information There will be White (very easy), Yellow (easy), Orange (moderate) and Green(hard) courses.
More details about the colour coding is available on the Scottish Orienteering website.
- British/Scottish Orienteering members – £3
- Non-members – £5
- British/Scottish Orienteering members – £1.50
- Non-members – £2.50
- Groups (Adults + children)
- Each additional adult in a group: add £1
- Each additional Junior in a group: add 50p
Planner: David Robertson (ESOC)
Privacy: When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Toilets: There are toilets in main car park.
If you, or anyone in your group (including juniors), have a medical condition that first-aiders or health professionals should know about in the event of accident or illness during the course of the event please print off the Medical Form, complete it fully and bring it along to the event. You should complete a separate copy for each individual who has a medical condition. Please leave the completed Medical Form at Event Registration. If it is not in a labelled sealed envelope, it will be put in one and will be opened only in an emergency. It will be shredded immediately after the event if you do not claim it back.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.