All orienteering events are cancelled or postponed until 15th June and that period may be extended further.
And until at least 13th March we are only allowed to take local exercise so the wider countryside is not open to us. ELO is looking at how we can adapt our activities to keep up health and fitness as well as maintain interest in orienteering when access is eventually relaxed.
We are concentrating on adapting some of our maps for MapRun.
Please let us know if you would like to help with these developments – or if you have others to suggest …
- MapRun is an app you use on your phone to download a preset course. The phone keeps track of your location and lets you know when you have reached each control site. This is clearly an exciting idea for the future of orienteering and we hope to convert as many of possible of our urban style maps and create courses which will be freely available to use
- This could be a good opportunity to update and expand our stock of maps so please let us know if you have suggestions for potential areas in East Lothian. If you already familiar with them please give us your opinion on the suitability of areas already under consideration – such as …
- Balgone estate near North Berwick – the two lochs below Balgone Heughs and the woods running south along the John Muir Way – East Wood and Craigmoor Wood
- Yester Woods – running south east along the new path to Garvald from Gifford around Gifford Water including the side glens of Todlaw Bog Wood and Shank Lea Wood (but excluding the area around Yester House enclosed by the ‘deer’ fence)
- Hopes reservoir south of Gifford
- North Berwick – the Glen and Coo’s Green, Castle Hill, East Links
Saturday 29 February 2020 Butterdean Wood, Gladsmuir
- Binning Wood
Saturday 28 March 2020
Cancelled / Postponed