After the previous day’s torrential rain the weather was kind – although with strong winds a tight grip was needed on the map.
There was a fair turnout bolstered by Brownies and Guides who took part enthusiastically and navigated (mostly) with accuracy around Winterfield and Bayswell parks.
Even those of us who know Dunbar well were taken to some hidden byways on the urban courses and there were many compliments for Trina’s planning.
This is the third of four ELO events in the summer 2017 Sprintelope series taking place on Wednesday evenings. These are lightweight informal events featuring a mix of traditional White and Yellow courses within a public park for youngsters and Urban Sprints around the surrounding streets for adults.
This year we are based for the first time at Dunbar’s Winterfield Park which is former playing fields area to the west of the town centre.
Both Longer and Shorter versions of the Urban course will visit the town centre of Dunbar with its complex network of wynds and vennels between the High Street and the sea.
White course will be entirely within Winterfield Park.
Yellow course will also use Bayswell Park and so will involve a short distance along the cliff-top path which will be marshalled during the event.
- Registration from 18:00 to 19:00
- Starts from 18:30 to 19:30
- White and Yellow courses within the park – mini kites with SI timing
- Urban courses for adults outside the park – flour marking only with SI timing for Start / Finish
- 50p for juniors
- £2 for adults
- Parking – Winterfield Park off North Road – next to tennis club. Overflow parking available at Lauderdale Park 300 metres east.
- Postcode – EH42 1AS
- Grid Ref – NT672791
- Course lengths:-
- White – Very easy – approx 1.1km
- Yellow – Easy – approx 1.8km
- Urban Sprint – 5km with a shorter option at 3km
- Results will be published on the ELO results pages
Because the Urban courses involve road crossings, under 16s can only tackle these courses if accompanied by a responsible adult at all times.
- Scottish Schools Championships – Friday 2nd June
- SprintELOpe – Haddington, Neilson Park – Wednesday 21st June