There are two membership options depending on whether you wish to join British Orienteering as well as ELO and Scottish Orienteering…
Junior = Born 2001 or later
BOF = British Orienteering
The membership year runs from January to December but anyone joining after 1st November gets the rest of the year free.
The main difference between the two options is that the SOA cheaper option is suitable if you only want to orienteer locally. Juniors recoup the membership cost by attending just four events within the year.
You can join ELO & SOA initially and upgrade your membership to BOF later during 2022 if you wish.
Here are some of the benefits you gain from joining ELO …
- ELO plans to stage around 16 events across East Lothian in 2021 (CoVid restrictions permitting) – details on our Events page and on the BOF event diary
- For most of these events the entry fee is cheaper for members (£2 cheaper for Seniors and £1 cheaper for Juniors)
- You also get reduced entry to events organised by other orienteering clubs in Scotland
- Junior members can join an extensive programme of coaching and training events organised locally (East of Scotland) and across the whole of Scotland
- Our junior members will receive an ELO T shirt after completing five events (so get your record card signed up at each event)
- ELO will pay your entry for Relay events such as the Scottish Championships Relay 2022 – a fun format and more members taking part means we can enter balanced teams.
Here is a link to Scottish Orienteering’s explanation of the option.
For 2022 both SOA and BOF have chosen not to raise their adult membership charges which is why your renewal cost is the same this year. ELO has chosen not to increase our modest component of £2 per person.
How to join ELO
You can join East Lothian Orienteers by post or online through the British Orienteering or Scottish Orienteering website.