At 9:00 on Saturday morning when leaving for Saltoun Woods to put the controls out it was already looking like it would be a glorious day and we weren’t disappointed. It meant that putting out the controls was a very pleasant experience in a quiet peaceful woodland. It had been a pleasure to wander to the far flung corners of the map on a few recce visits and as I was planning for the first time I was very grateful for Pete Younger’s mentoring and insights along the way which was invaluable!The woodpeckers, buzzards and snowdrops had all made themselves scarce by the time the event was in full flow and were replaced by some off-path brambles which had come up dramatically in parts over the past two weeks.There were plenty of paths and tracks for the white and yellow courses and some good opportunities to get off the paths for the Orange course with longer pathed options available. I was particular pleased to be able to plan a course which was more green than greenish as I know that’s not always the case It was nice to hear lots of discussions afterwards about routes and navigation and to receive some positive feedback about how things went out in the forest. All-in-all planning was a steep learning curve but well worth the time and effort – thanks to ELO for giving me the opportunity!
Starts from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Please arrange to share transport if possible as parking is limited. We will prioritise vehicles with young families for the closest parking to the event. See below for more details.
Nearest town: Pencaitland
Grid Ref: NT 465 669
Postcode: EH34 5EH
Registration & Start Times
- White (1.7 km – very easy navigation – controls are all on paths)
- Yellow (2.2 km – easy navigation – controls all on or visible from paths)
- Orange (3.3 km – moderate navigation – controls are generally close to paths)
- Green (4.5 km – difficult navigation – controls are hard to find and to reach)
- Long Orange (6.3 km – moderate navigation – controls are generally close to paths)
Entry is cheaper if you are a current member of a club and affiliated to British Orienteering (BOF). Please make sure that your membership has been renewed for 2017.
- Adults (born in 1996 or earlier)
BOF members – £4
Non-members – £6
- Juniors (born in 1997 or later)
BOF members – £1.50
Non-members – £2.50
- Groups (Adults + children)
Each additional adult in a group: add £1
- Each additional junior in a group: add 50p
Planner: Michael Atkinson
Privacy: When entering our events your name will appear in the results section of this website and possibly in newspaper reports.
- Compass Sport Trophy – Tentsmuir – Sunday 12th March
- Membership benefits