Winton Estate is a relatively new area for orienteering in East Lothian with a strong path network making it ideal for those wanting to try orienteering for the first time.
Orienteers of all abilities are welcome to join us on the day when we will have a range of courses to suit everyone.
Please contact us if you are wanting a map but have not pre-entered. We ordered some spare maps but may have to print extras for some courses.
- Live results should be available here on the day of the event.
Type of event:
Local event in the East of Scotland Orienteering Association (ESOA) series
- The Winton Hill area consists of a shelter belt of woodland which surrounds out-of-bounds arable farmland. The woodland is old and mature with much natural undergrowth and is an area definitely better used in the winter when the vegetation is lower than in the summer. Nevertheless is brambly and thick in places. However, there are tiny, unmappable animal trods so if wanting to cut from path to path, look around for the easier ways through.
- Even since the map was received the area has become more useful as uncrossable deer fences have been removed allowing access to two areas consisting of blocks of plantations of different kinds. Thinning and brashing has taken place recently, and footpaths have developed in the past few months, so the map has required considerable updating before ever having been used.
- Please observe any out of bounds areas.
The area is very well used by the general public including dog walkers and families. Please respect their right to be there at the same time as you are orienteering.
Area is used by dog walkers so dogs are welcome. If taking a dog out on the course, please keep it away from the badger sett (which will be marked with pink hatching on the map).
The nearest available toilets are in Asda in Tranent.
All of the path network is rough and narrow in places. All the courses are unsuitable for buggies because of narrow paths, muddy sections and fallen tree branches.
Nearest Town: Pencaitland
Grid Ref: NT437702
Nearest Postcode: EH34 5AU
On the B6355 from Tranent to Pencaitland, swing left at the main gates to Winton Estate then after 500 m at NT439700 turn left onto a track signed to Wintonhill. Note that this is a single lane track with nicely maintained grass borders. Be prepared to reverse some distance if you meet a car coming the opposite way. After 300 m turn left signed Wintonhill Farm
113 to Pencaitland (and then a short run)
Trevelyan Hall, Pencaitland
Registration & Start Times
This will be online (and for newcomers at the car park) – look for the ELO flag and tent!
Please select an early start time if you think you might take a long time to complete your course.
Start and Finish:
Start times will be from 1:30pm to 3:00pm.
The Start and Finish locations are a short walk from registration.
The courses will close at 4:00pm, so if you have not completed your course by then, you should stop and return to assembly.
You must report to the Download point, whether you complete the course or not, so that we know you are not lost or injured in the woods!
The map is printed at 1:7500 with 5m contours.
SportIdent (SI) electronic timing will be used – we will have SIs for hire free of charge but there is a £30 charge if lost. Units, apart from start and finish, will be set for contactless punching.
There will be White, Yellow, Orange and Light Green courses.
|Course||Length / Ascent||Difficulty|
|White||1.9km / 35m||Very Easy|
|Yellow||2.0km / 40m||Easy|
|Orange||2.8km / 70m||Moderate|
|Light Green||4.2km / 100m||Difficult|
More details about the colour coding is available on the Scottish Orienteering website.
The landowner has asked us to collect a parking charge of £2.50 per vehicle. This is the same as the coastal car parking charge.
Entry is cheaper if you are a current 2022 member of a club affiliated to Scottish or British Orienteering.
Please ensure that your membership has been renewed for 2022.
|Parent and Child |
(one parent with one child)
|Larger Family Groups |
(one or more children accompanied by one or more adults)
|Pair of Seniors||£5||£7|
|Pair of Juniors |
(no accompanying adults)
|Parking||£2.50 (cash please)|
**Note that although non-members are now permitted to take part, Covid regulations still limit the support we can give beginners.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment has been carried out by the organisers, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. Please note the following:
- Some paths divert around trees which fell during Storm Arwen – these are obvious on the ground and the major changes are noted on the map.
- Most of the ditches are fairly dry at this time of year.
- Full leg cover is required as although the courses have been planned to avoid the worst of the nettles and brambles, you may still encounter some on the orange and light green courses.
If you, or anyone in your group (including juniors), have a medical condition that first-aiders or health professionals should know about in the event of accident or illness during the course of the event please print off the Medical Form, complete it fully and bring it along to the event. You should complete a separate copy for each individual who has a medical condition. Please leave the completed Medical Form at Event Registration. If it is not in a labelled sealed envelope, it will be put in one and will be opened only in an emergency. It will be shredded immediately after the event if you do not claim it back.
When entering our events your name will appear in the results section of this website and may appear in newspaper reports.
We may also take photographs at the event for publicity purposes – please let us know if you do not want us to use your photograph in this way.
- ELO Club Champions 2021
- North Berwick Law
Saturday 27th August 2022